Low libido is a term given to describe a decreasing sex drive, which can act as a hindrance to one’s sexual activity. Low libido does not only result in strained romantic relationships, but may also be a cause for straining the emotional aspect of a relationship. Additionally, it can also reduce self-confidence and foster self-doubt in both the partners. It can often be treated as soon as the underlying cause can be identified.
However, many people may confuse low libido with erectile dysfunction. While they are not the same, but both of these conditions can co-exist. If a couple is experiencing this problem, then it is better to scrutinize the possible causes. In order to achieve this, honesty and communication are both of paramount importance. Treatment options that may be adopted vary from hormone replacement, changes in lifestyle, psychotherapy, and even adopting drug therapies. To figure out the right treatment, understanding the cause is important. Following are some of the causes associated with low libido.
Causes of low libido
Low libido can be attributed to both psychological and physical factors. Sometimes, it may be one of the factors or it may even be a combination.
- The physical issues causing low libido comprise of medications given by prescription, low levels of testosterone in the body, and sometimes may even depend on your exercise habits. For example, exhausting yourself with too much exercise or not giving your body any exercise may also result in low libido. Additionally, getting intoxicated may also pose as a problem.
- On the other hand, psychological issues, which may act as a cause for low libido, includes being stressed, being depressed, or having troubles in the relationship.
- Some studies show that, every four out of ten men, who are aged above 45, suffer through low testosterone. You also need to know that low libido may be caused due to a combination of multiple factors. Hence, get consultation to further understand the causes of your low sex drive.
Treatment options for low libido
Depending on what causes your low libido, the list of possible treatments that one can try out include:
- Improving your lifestyle by modifying your diet and getting regular exercise along with enough sleep. This will help in reduction of stress and also in treating your low libido.
- On the other hand, figuring out about the effects of your medications and seeing if any of them affect your sex drive would also be helpful. Changing these medicines would help in treating low libido.
- In case, your low libido is being caused due to psychological reasons, then the doctor may further recommend counseling and ask you to undergo therapy. This may include couples therapy if lack of emotional intimacy is the reason for low libido.
- Furthermore, getting help for depression may also be quite helpful.
- Getting your hormone levels checked and making changes in your drug prescription will also be quite helpful in treating your low libido.